Monday, April 1, 2013

When the moon hits your eye...

I had been debating for years about whether or not I should add another "fired art" to my studio business. I went back and forth about fused glass, but I was scared to do it, and unsure how to go about it. It just looked so daunting, and I had the pottery thing down pat. And then my honey, and I visited Murano in Italy in 2009.


And my second love was revealed. Fused and slumped glass like the famous Italians do it.
First of all, they have a much bigger kiln then me.
And they're doing glass blowing as well. Can you imagine trying to offer that in the studio? Uh, no thank you! But, fused glass is the next best thing! Imagine a customer of ours can create their own glass plate, bowl, platter, candy dish, cross, candle holder, and much more. It still boggles my mind, that they can create that in our studio!
 
 
 

So, I came back to the States, and set out to learn all I could about how to create fused glass pieces. I took a lot of classes, and researched alot. There were experiments, and failures along the way.
I started small. We did just tiles, and flat pieces in the beginning. And through trial, and error we learned to create all kinds of wonderful masterpieces, and works of art.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

We find that many customers are still intimidated by glass fusing. We explain that it's actually easier than painting on pottery. Once, they do it, they are hooked. We'd love to invite you in to try it. Even just to make your own glass letter, or a coaster. We'll walk you through it ever step of the way, and you'll be hooked like I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment