Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Teacher! Teacher!

Yes, I was the student who always had my hand raised, and always had a question for the teacher. And yes, I loved being "Teacher's Pet". Who didn't?
My most favorite teachers were the ones who you could tell really wanted us to learn, to grasp the meaning of the subject. They got us excited about what we were learning. Even some were tough, and hard on us. (I went to Catholic school, and had nuns. You get the drift.)
Three grade school teachers really stand out the most.

Mrs. Rogers was our 3rd grade teacher, and she was just such a nice person. I don't remember her ever haven't an angry word, or a raised voice. But we probably deserved it. She taught all subjects, but I remember reading the most. She really made us comfortable with reading to the whole class, and being called on. I was lucky enough to help Mrs. Rogers later on, when I got older, with helping to grade papers, and be her assistant. That would have been my first "job."


Mrs. Ross was our fifth grade teacher but also taught Science to the older kids. She made me fall in love with Science. She had such a passion for the subject, and made it so interesting. She was one of those teachers who had a quirky trick for everything. I remember when we were talking about hiccups, and one of my classmates had them. She swiftly grabbed a spoon, shoved it down the kid's throat, and hiccups were gone! You couldn't get away with that these days! Sadly, Mrs. Ross passed away a couple of years ago. This world lost a great lady, and teacher.


Mrs. Jacobs was our 7th grade teacher and the upper grades English Grammar teacher. Most teachers couldn't have made English fun, and exciting. She did. We actually played a game called "Diagram Baseball. We would beg her everyday to play. What a great way to learn grammar. I can still diagram the heck out of a sentence!
All of us had special teachers in our lives. These were people we spent almost more time with than anyone else. They practically raised us!
Celebrate teachers! They are under appreciated, and certainly underpaid. We would be honored to help you make that awesome hand made gift for your child's favorite teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment